Included on this page are highlights from our policies and procedures. The Westwood Elementary Student Handbook includes more detail on each of these items.
As a reminder, our hours are:
- School Hours: 7:45 a.m. - 2:15 p.m.
- Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Students arriving after 7:45 a.m. are marked tardy and must report to the office for a late note.
To report an absent child, call the school office or email us using this Absence Reporting Form.
You are required to notify the school if your child is going to be absent. Upon your child’s return to school, he/she should have a “Return to School Form” from the doctor or a written note from home explaining the absence. After the third unexcused absence, your child will be referred to the School Social Worker.
Student behavior that distracts bus drivers is a hazard to the vehicle's safe operation and jeopardizes the safety and welfare of all passengers. Misbehavior while on a yellow school bus or a Metro bus can result in disciplinary action for the student or the suspension of transportation service for the student. Read more about our requirements for student behavior on buses.
Review CPS' Code of Conduct for disciplinary procedures.
Students may wear black or tan khaki pants, jumpers or skirts with red, black or white collared shirts. Shorts are permitted during warm weather. Boys will wear black or red bowties. Jeans are not permitted. In addition:
- Headgear is not permitted in the building. This includes hats, hair nets, rollers, sweatbands, scarves, bandanas, non-prescriptive glasses and/or sunglasses.
- Pants should be worn above the hip bone with a belt.
- Both pant legs should be of the same length.
- Skirts and shorts must be of an appropriate length.
- Cosmetics, perfume/cologne, and nail polish should not be applied in the classroom.
- Outdoor coats and jackets are not to be worn in the classroom. Sweaters are permitted, as some of the classrooms are colder than others.
Snow Days and School Delays
Snow days and school delays are announced on our website, local TV and radio stations, CPS' mobile app, and through automated phone calls. Assume school is open unless you hear otherwise. Learn more about CPS' severe weather and emergency closing procedures.
The Westwood Elementary Student Handbook details our policies and procedures.
Visiting During School Hours
We welcome visits from parents and guardians. However, to protect student safety, all visitors must sign in at the main office and wear a visitor's badge. Parents/guardians who would like a conference with their child's teacher must schedule an appointment with the teacher.